APX is Europe’s leading pre-seed VC for very early-stage startups, investing up to 500k EUR before Series A. We want to hire a Legal Counsel. Starting date: as soon as possible.
Based in Berlin, APX invests across industries in the best founding teams building digital startups – often as their first investor. In addition to our financial investment, we provide startups with tailor-made support to secure follow-on financing. APX’s two investors are Axel Springer and Porsche. Since 2018, we have invested in 80+ companies with founders from 20+ countries together with 100+ co-investors.
About your role and responsibilities
We’re looking for a Legal Counsel for our team. Joining APX and shaping our growth story, you will negotiate deals, draft and review financing and corporate documents, and support our portfolio managers in financing rounds, from pre-seed investments to later-stage financing rounds and exits. You will have the opportunity to work with ambitious founders, gain extensive deal experience and build your network of investors and the startup ecosystem as a whole.
- Strategic legal work: draft/improve current APX investment documentation to keep it state of the art, understand alternative financing instruments in Germany and beyond, and benchmark; ensure sound internal governance and support management and portfolio managers to execute accordingly, etc.
- Work with prospective and existing portfolio companies: support portfolio managers to close investments, including DD; assess and develop follow-on financing opportunities, evaluate exit opportunities; involve and manage domestic and foreign law firms for international deals; consult and act on ongoing corporate law matters on behalf of APX as shareholder, etc.
- Training of portfolio managers: provide portfolio managers with a toolbox to execute initial closings and regular corporate governance duties, create and manage template documents for portfolio founders, etc.
Who we’re looking for
We encourage smart, fast learners to apply, that have excelled in academia and/or in their first job. We will also consider applicants with no background in VC-related law – but candidates who do have that background will be preferred.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and proactive “can-do” attitude
- Ability and willingness to own topics and drive them forward, while being a team player at heart
- A positive, open-minded, curious, and hands-on mentality
- A structured way of working and navigating smartly through projects and processes in a dynamic environment
- Self-reflective and able to continuously challenge and improve methods and implement effective learning loops
- Excellent communication skills, fluency in English (and any additional EU language is beneficial)
APX is proud to be an equal opportunity employer prohibiting discrimination and harassment of any kind. We want to work with the best people no matter how they look, dress or speak, or whom they love, believe in, or aspire. We are committed to building a team that represents various backgrounds, perspectives, and skills, as we believe diverse teams with complementary skill sets make the strongest teams.
What we offer
- Substantial creative freedom to carry out smart ideas
- Become part of a forward-thinking, cooperative, international, and diverse team of colleagues
- Work from a high-energy, fast-moving office location or remotely
- Connect with hungry founders at the forefront of technology
- Build and engage with a comprehensive network of stakeholders, including investors, shareholders, mentors, and experts
- A competitive package
Join us on our mission to build a better future for digital startups building a better future for all of us.
Send us your application via email at email@example.com and make sure to include:
- A few sentences on why you’d like to work at APX in this role
- Your CV
- The earliest date on which you can join
We look forward to hearing from you!